thank you on explaining the differences on the lace, and i didn't see
that there was a slight opening, but my eyes aren't that good.  that
makes more sense.

i will buy one of the books you mentioned and start with some old
crochet thread i have.  it is big and bulky, but it can be used to
practice tatting.  right now i am going to use a card to wrap the
thread around until i make a shuttle.  thank you for your help, and
today i am off to the hardware store to get my paint and varnish for my
bobbins and some pieces of wood for my shuttle.  thank you!

from susan in tennessee,u.s.a.