Here is my understanding of what these items are:

An "awl", in my local family dialect of American English, has a
teardrop-shaped handle of wood, and a round metal shaft going to a point.

A stiletto has a thin, flat blade, like a letter-opener, and a handle more
like a knife handle.

In my local family dialect of American English, a bodkin is a flat, blunt,
needle-like object, with a long narrow eye, used to thread ribbon through
eyelets, or elastic through a tube.  I have run across many of these on
eBay, and the items offered as "bodkins" vary.

My dictionary (my old 1960's dictionary) also has "a dagger or stiletto",
"a stiletto-like implement, esp. one for punching holes in cloth", and "a
stiletto-shaped ornamental hairpin."  The "large-eyed blunt needle"
definition appears last.

What would you, personally, say a "bodkin" is?  (Remembering that dialects
of English vary from family to family, as well as country to country.)

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com