There are three "turning stitch" variations that I know of, my definition of
a turning stitch being the way to reverse direction without a pin, and this is
how it has been referred to by the various teachers I have studied, with
regardless of the movements used.

First is the one that Tamara talked about which I was taught by Beryl Maw and
Pat Perryman and I believe is in the Luxton and Thompson books (too tired to
look it up as I didn't get home till 1.30 this morning) where you work through
to the end, twist (only) the worker once and leave it and return with the
last-pair-passed-thru, ie ctc at the edge.

The next is Pat Read's ctctc Milanese variation

Finally, a second one also taught to me by Pat Perryman, where you work to
the end of the row and then with no twists at all, return with the same pair,
ie
ctc,ctc.

I use the first and last for rib/tenstick.  Because of the different "bulk"
created by a 3 or 6 movement stitch, I might use both in the same piece of work
or even on the same rib because the ts shouldn't show.  For tight to medium
curls I would choose the first, for medium to almost straight I would use the
third.

The ctctc is the hardest to use for rib *because* the pairs are split, and it
is  more difficult (therefore slower) to make sure that there are absolutely
no slightly looser threads left at the ts side; the culprit could be in the
edge passives or the workers.  It is used in the Milanese braids because, by
tensioning the correct combination of threads, you can a) move it from side to
side, b) move it backwards and forwards and c) once you have tensioned
everything tightly it locks in place to a large extent.  This complexity isn't
needed
in a rib, so there is little point in using it in this situation.

When you are doing rib, remember Pat Perryman's description - "you are making
a tape not a piece of string", so keep the passives flat and an even width,
not pulled as tight against the pins as you possibly can.

Jacquie