Something which was said a couple of months ago bears repeating:  If you
can't resist buying a lot of heavy books in Denver, it is far more
economical to make a trip to the shopping center across the way and ship
the books home via book-rate postage.  You may have to wait a few days to
get them, but that certainly beats the hefty over-weight charges that would
apply in the airport!!

Also, after Tina's advice on packing, I went to the website for the airline
I'm traveling on...  where I also learned that if I happen to be flying on
two different carriers, the overcharge would apply for EACH carrier!!  But
I also realized that I DO get to check TWO bags... and I had forgotten
that!  So pack one lightly for the trip out OR use one as a carry-on for
the trip out and use a hefty tote-bag as your carry-on coming home - and
check two bags instead of one.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

packing.  I have a suitcase which is large enough to put my frame in it
when I travel, but it is heavy and sturdy.  I have been given a "Heavy"
label by 3 airlines when the bags are going through the checking. This
includes, Northwest, British Midland and  Delta.  So far I have not
exceeded the weight limit, but the bag was also not packed as full as it
could have been.  I may have to stop buying books on the way home, or not
take classes if I can't have one suitcase for my supplies and a second for
clothes.

> This situation is a pain, but I believe the airlines may now be receivng
more health claims from handlers and are cracking down on our heavy bags.
Just a note, I regularily lift my bag into the car going to and from the
airport.  So, as a woman, what does this mean for 'the weaker sex'.