Hi, Ronna

The first thing to do is contact your *teachers* and ask them if you
can use the International Square bobbins.  Obviously, both would prefer
you use the "proper" (that is, the official) kind for that style of
lace, but most teachers understand the financial necessity of making do
with what one has.    The so-called international square bobbin is
fairly lightweight and may be OK, but your teachers will know whether
the thread they have you using is too fine (weak) for the weight of
that kind of bobbin.

Honiton uses very fine thread and light bobbins, but usually not all
that many of them, so you may not have a problem in terms of the number
of bobbins you need (40 bobbins is only 20 pairs, so that's not many
for the Withof class, either).

As Tamara said, you need fine pins (and short enough to push all the
way down into the pattern) for both those laces.  However, if your
supply list doesn't specify a size or kind of pin, perhaps the
beginning patterns aren't going to be too critical on that score.

You need a separate pillow and bobbins for each class, but can use all
the other tools between them.  I disagree with Tamara about needing
huge numbers of pins.  Both laces are "free" style, without quantities
of ground filling in around the motifs.  The ground areas are what
really eat up pins at an alarming rate.  Still, you will need a "full
box" between them, and buying a second box (if needed later in the
week) is a small price.  That will depend in part on how fast you work,
of course!

Have a wonderful time at convention--it's a great learning experience
and really broadens your lace horizons (in terms of what kinds of lace
there are to be learnt, what kinds of tools are available, all the new
threads and books and other toys, etc.) and new friends to share your
passion with!

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)