I too learnt about lacemaking trough the Girl Guides.  I was in the Rangers
when I went to Nottingham for a Young Leaders training day.  Amongst the
first aid etc, was a session of demonstrations of various things - one of
which was someone with a lace pillow.

I only got to watch, but I saw someone being shown how to work part of the
pattern on the pillow, and having a go.  It stuck in my head that although
it loked complicated, it wasn't as hard as it looked.  Several years later,
working in a library, I came across lacemaking books, borrowed a few and
realised I could pick up this craft.  I asked for lacemaking equipment for
Christmas, and started my journey.

I've had ups and downs over the 17 years I have been making lace, but
managed to make wedding presents for friends when we had little cash.  I
usually have something on the go now, and earlier this month went to my
first Lace Day (Tamworth and Newton Regis - Thanks Jane) which I really
enjoyed, and had my first taste of needlelace.

Karen
In Coventry
Where we didn't have the promised thunderstorms yesterday - and today seems
set to be hot and humid.