In a message dated 24/06/2005 04:31:09 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Is there a general rule of thumb for enlarging or reducing a pattern if
> you wish to use the /Threads for/ /Lace/ book and use a different size
> thread than the pattern recommends?

To add to what Tamara said, for the continuous laces, at the front of the
'Threads' book there is a section on which span of thread sizes fit each grid
(along with the ideal wpc count for that grid).  So, if you know which thread
you
want to use you can look here to see which size graph you need.

For your Milanese it's probably easier, in the first instance. to put a piece
of graph paper on the pillow, wind the thread you want to use and start with
a cloth bandage.  Use the graph to keep your edges straight and allow the
thread to tell you how much space it needs widthwise and hole distance.   Once
you
are happy with the cloth, do some braids keeping the same spacings.  This
sample will then let you decide whether you like the heavier thread, both to
look
at and work with.

"Is there a point that you can enlarge or reduce the pattern too much?"
Depends!  I used to think I didn't like the Point Ground laces enlarged, but
then I saw the Blue Moon scarf.........    So long as the thread is right for
the size you are working and the scale is right for the project as a whole
then the answer is "probably not".  However, if you are working way outside the
accepted parameters of a style, it is probably a good idea to do a reasonable
sample to see if the actuality agrees with your vision.