I did a few small (6 pairs) torchon projects with wire and discovered that
3 plies of .1mm works about the same as 1 ply of .2mm. The 3-plies however
looked much better for the cloth stitch areas. The 3-plies also behave
more like normal threads.

I don't use hooks on the bobbins. Thicker wire don't need a hitch as long
as you don't pull the bobbins but *fold* the wire itself. Don't use the
pins as a pulley: put a pin after the thread is in place.

For the thinner wire I use "haarklemmetjes" for example nr 70057 on
http://www.mariebelle.nl/nl/dept_74.html
The leach can easily be made longer while holding the bobbin horizontaly,
the leach keeps its length with the bobbin in normal position.
I also saw someone with wire bobbins carved with C-shaped heads, don't
know were they came from.

Jo Falkink