Brian wrote:

<What about tooth picks?  :)   :)

Sure it is a bit of a joke, but I seem to remember that bone toothpicks were
placed on the table in India, perhaps even China?>

I'd seen something like these before on an antiques programme, and have been trying to remember what they'd been identified as. Brian, you hit it on the head! They were identified as tooth picks.

But then two "experts" did identify a bobbin winder as a "fancy spinning wheel" :-)

Jean in Poole