On Jun 30, 2005, at 23:58, Alice Howell wrote (in response to Carolyn):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7332317820
I am very curious. This doesn't look like anything from the 17th century to me. For one thing, it is quite small. Any handkerchiefs that I've ever heard of from prior to the 19th c. were quite large. Also, I was under the impression that corners in lace were not developed until the later half of
the nineteenth/twentieth century.

[...] it is small. This size today we call a hanky. However, needlelace is fairly firm and I would think that a hanky with this much firm lace would not be much fun to carry, and it is true that older hankies were much larger than todays'. Consider that it might have been made as a small doily. It would look lovely under a sculpture or flower vase. And the 3-dimensional part would show up well.

Yes, but did they *have* doilies, to put under a vase or sculpture, in mid 1600 hundreds? I know they used carpets to show off their prized possessions, but I've never seen (in paintings) an intricate doily like that used in the same place.

Most of the lace made then - whether needle or bobbin - was made either for the Church, or for the top 5% of the population, and it was still considered something very, very, special, being out-of-sight expensive... Surely, then, not something to serve as a frothy background to a marble bust of Julius Cesar or Homer? Besides, those sculptures were *big*, as were the flower vases, while this thing is dainty, at 12-12.5" square *total* area. You set a 17th century vase on it, and only the little corners of the lace peek out from underneath. Total waste of your money, since you get no status-boost :)

It's true that "corners in lace - late" apply to Bobbin Lace only; NL doesn't have to face the same constraints of design as some of the BL does, and hankies with corners - some quite dainty - were made in NL fairly early (mid 18th c? I sem to remember that some of the NL hankies in the Cone Sisters collection at the Baltimore Museum of art were as early as that))

I have another doubt about the dating of the piece... To quote from the site (Yes! I *could* copy and paste! Much to my surprise<g>)

"Handmade French Point de France Needlelace. Mid to late 1600's."

“Point d France was developed by Louis XIV and finance minister Colbert, to provide a French industry of fine needle laces in the mid 1600's.

As my memory gets worse and worse, my dependence on handy resources grows stronger... According to the Heritage Dictionary, Louis XIV wasn't even *born* till 1638. True, he became king at the tender age of 5 (1643), but I doubt he was discussing lace production with Colbert at that point :)

In fact, according to Pat Earnshaw's "Lace in Fashion", it was only in 1661 that Louis had a chance to repeal his mother's (Anne of Austria) and her second husband's (Mazarin) proscriptions against the excessive use of lace, and that's when Colbert started to encourage "home manufacture" of lace - importing teachers and designers and planting them in existing needlework (not *lace*, mind you) centres.

But that would have taken time to take root and to poduce the "point de France" look, so we can abandon the idea of the piece being mid-1600's right away. Not even by stretching one's imagination to the outermost limits, would that piece have been produced then. Even, if it is, indeed, "point de France" (I wouldn't know, not being a lace-historian). Late 1600? Maybe. Though I'd still like to see some provenance on it, before I shelled out the money (supposing I had it, that is <g>). Not that it's not worth $500+, even if it was made yesterday; it must have taken hours and hours to make...

I have no idea at all, whether the arrangement of the motifs is consistent with the particular lace (point de France) look, or even the period it's been ascribed to - Devon might know, and I hope she'll pitch in with her insights. But, mathematically challenged as I have always been, I still don't see how we get (another successful quote from the page? Yes! <g>):

lace that is about 400 years old.

In my arithmetic, 1650 (mid-1600) and 400 makes 2050; I'll be long gone by then, not spouting off on Arachne :) Unless "about" is the same as my answer to the history teacher at the U, when she asked when the Spinning Jenny was invented, and I said: "sometime in the 18th century" (even then, my inerest in history was minimal, but the course was compulsory)... :)

I had no trouble at all accessing all the detail photos (even though my screen configuration is totally different from that described by Alice), some of which seem to show the wrong side of the piece, and I found those at least as interesting as the photos of the right side.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/