Hi Penny,

I have both books, and I have worked several of the prickings already - I
like them all a lot!   They are handy for making Easter cards for friends

I have used all sorts of threads - I have used the coloured DMC 30s, Finca
white and ecru, the Oliver Twists both cotton and silk, and some that I have
no idea of the weight thereof!    I bought mine at Lace Days and
haberdashery counters here in the UK, so that may not help you in USA too
much. What I normally do is wind whatever thread around a pin or a pencil,
until I can see how many wraps will fit the pricking, count the number of
times it goes round the pin/pencil, then divide by two, and wind that many
pairs!   Sometimes you have to adjust the pairs by adding or subtracting one
or two, but that method works for me.   Obviously, the DMC takes a lot more
pairs than the Oliver Twist, but it is easy enough to adjust, and even if
you start the project and find that you have too few/too many pairs, it
doesn't take long to find that out, so you haven't wasted too much time.

Hope this helps a little!

Carol - in Suffolk UK - where everything has stopped for a garter for our
Daughter's wedding in October.

Subject: [lace] Thread for Egg Patterns