On Jul 14, 2005, at 8:08, Darja D wrote:

can please someone tell me if there are any free patterns for 3d bobbinlace flower?

I don't know of any on the websites; like everyone else, all I know are those in books.

But, as Helen (Bell) said, you can make one from a length of lace then gather it for the 3-D effect. Or you can use a pattern for a small circle but, instead of finishing, unpin the beginning and keep going, making a spiral. When you have enough, join.

Another home-made version would be to design one, with 4 petals, of any shape you want, arranged in a square around a small, empty centre - in any relatively simple, tape-like lace. The petals can be made in any combination of stitches (cloth, whole, half) and with or without fillings.

Starting at the centre, work up one side of the petal and down the other, back to the centre.

When you've made all 4 of them, unpin the first 3, and keep going, till you have as many petals as you'd like (an odd number tends to arrange itself better than an even one), unpinning previously made petals as you run out of pricking. When you have the number of petals you like, repin the first one, and join the last one made to it.

It's a version of the circular edging spiral, but with more defined petals, and can be very pretty, forming several layers of them. If the centre is really small, it's easy to pull together; you don't even have to do the running stitch to gather it, just make sure that the needle makes at least one stitch through every one of them. And it (the centre) can be covered - at the same time - with beads. Make a stitch through the petal, put a bead on your needle, make a stich through the petal...

There's a *very* pretty 4-petal "square" in Claire Burkhard's "50 New Bobbin Lace Patterns". I've made it many times, though I've always arranged the petals dfifferently than what she shows in the book.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/