I visited Sewing matters in West Lauder  as a detour on my way north from
East Lothian.

I doesn't have the welcoming atmosphere of the Embroidery Shop in Edinburgh
and I was the only customer there.  A gentleman was in charge and I got the
impression he was bored.  It does have a good selection of thread for
embroidery
and I got the cotton perle I was looking for.  When I asked about bobbin lace
supplies I was told that they had no expertise in that area and would not be
catering for it.  They had about four books reduced to half price (and I now
regret not buying them all in the hope of finding people to buy them off me)
and
a few bobbins remaining.  When these are all sold (books and bobbins) that
will be the end of bobbin lace supplies in that shop.  I didn't ask to see the
bobbins partly because I had been later than I planned in setting off and it
seemed to take forever to get to West Calder and partly because I was depressed
by what the Embroider Shop of Edinburgh had become.  There didn't seem to be
the same amount of stock  -  fewer books, cross stitch chart booklets and cross
stitch kits.

If anyone wants to visit the shop drive along the main road through the place
until you see a sign for a car park (on the left if driving south from the
Edinburgh direction).  Use the car park (which also has a public toilet) and
walk back onto the main road.  The shop is virtually opposite the car park.
West
Calder is not a town/village you would want to visit for itself.

On a brighter note for those in the north east of Scotland, the shop in
Banchory, old name now escapes me, with the new name of Meg's Attic plans to
have
bobbin lace supplies in the future.  The new owner is learning bobbin lace and
hopes to stock supplies but is waiting to canvass lacemakers to find out what
they want.  She was lowish in stock generally when I visited but this is
because the previous owner allowed the stock to drop during the selling
process.
And the new owner has spent some time amking it lighter and brighter than it
used to be.  She is continuing the tradition of holding classes on the premises.

Patricia in Wales