I've replied to Devon directly, but since T has added her usual thoughtful
ideas to this, I'll jump in with the answer which I got - from the horse's
mouth, so to speak!

I've had the pleasure of having Michael Giusiana as a houseguest this week, so
I asked him to clarify this for us.  His response was that rather than call it
a mesh, the proper English terminology is to talk about the "snowflake ground"
when we're using a generic term to describe that expanse of similar treatment
which connects figures in the lace.  On the other hand, the more specific terms
(ie., Oeil de Perdrix or Eye of Partridge) refer to a specific way in which the
individual snowflake is constructed.  These distinctions are usually of little
interest except to the Binche lacemaker.  So a snowflake ground can conceivably
include many different kinds of snowflake, but still be referred to generically
as snowflake ground.  The "connisseur" of snowflakes can show off if they want,
rapsodizing on the various attributes of one snowflake over another, but as
Michael says, only a lacemaker would care about the differences, and once the
lace is made, anyone else might need a lou
 pe to tell the difference.

Clay