Avital <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I do both netting and tatting. A netting needle doesn't hold nearly as
much as a
>tatting shuttle. You can't fill a netting shuttle too full because then it
won't
>go through the holes of the netting or it will stretch the holes while you're
>forming the knots. Netting needles only hold a couple yards.

I do both netting and tatting, too, and here is my comment:

The amount a netting needle will hold depends partly on the length of the
netting needle.  I always wind mine "figure-8" fashion, so the thread bulks
out to the sides.  I have one netting needle that I put a 20-yard skein of
embroidery floss on, and I think at the time I was doing quarter-inch mesh
with it.  To do a circular net, in order for the shuttle to fit, instead of
just making a tail, I put a couple of yards on another netting shuttle and
worked the center rounds with that, then switched to the more-full shuttle.

You could use a tatting shuttle for netting, *but* the mesh would have to
be big enough to fit the width of the tatting shuttle through.

Basically, what I have found, whether I am working big nets for bags or
fine hair-net mesh, is that tatting shuttles work best for tatting, and
netting shuttles, whether the "needle" type or one of the "netting shuttle"
types, work best for netting!  :)

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com