------------ Puvodni zprava ------------
Od: Tamara P Duvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Predmet: [lace] waxing thread for BL/Liers weekend/picots
Datum: 29.7.2005 04:48:49
On Jul 28, 2005, at 9:09, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Part of the instructions to new lacemakers is to leave a new bobbin > lace on > the pillow overnight so the last few inches of crosses and twists will > "set" > and keep their definition. This is probably because the teachers know > that many
> new lacemakers have not established the correct tension yet.

I think there's more to this leaving lace overnight to "set" than just the novice's inexpert tensioning. Afterall, if you learn on yardage, you are forced forced to unpin and move on, especially on a roller pillow, which allows you only a couple of inches (at best) made in comfort (on top of the roller). And, with thick threads and few pairs (beginners patterns), you accomplish those couple of inches fairly quickly.

I'm a beginner and I do beginners patterns usually in one or two days.

My tensioning - with perhaps the exception of the very start in some pieces is, generally speaking, pretty steady, after 16 yrs. But I find that, while I can take off a piece which took only a day or two to make immediately, I no longer do it with a piece the beginning of which had been pinned to the pillow for a week or two.

I find my tensioning very steady (tight) in BL as well as in crotcheting or knitting. I hope one can't tight threads too much.
So now, on a larger project, I tend to leave the newly made bit overnight (or longer) before unpinning. Unless it's yardage, made on a roller, where I had been unpinning all along, not allowing the thread to grow too comfortable around the pins.

When I finish a lace (or pattern piece I should say) I leave it pinned on
pillow. I starch it with very tenuous starch so it becomes completely wet and I
let it dry out over night. It makes the lace even more tight but soft. After I
unpin it, it doesn´t change. If I need start immediately another lace I do it
aside from the first one or on other side of the pillow.

Dagmar
Plzen, Czech Republic