Hello,

Here's another viewpoint to think over:

It is really important to wind bobbins so that the thread is not pulled off
the top of the spool.  You need to devise a method that will allow the spool
to turn as you remove the thread.  Any other way will either add or subtract
twist, which will give you kinky, tangled thread.

There are some nifty little spool holders that allow the spools to twist as
the thread unwinds.  A simple one can also be made at home with a small
block of wood and a nail to hold the spool.  And fabric stores hold little
thread holders (also a place for your needles and thimble) that will work.

As a matter of fact, people who have trouble with breaking threads would do
well to regularly check their threads to make sure that the turning of the
bobbins during the lacemaking does not untwist the thread.  If it does, then
just re-twist.  I could almost guarantee your thread breaking problems will
disappear.

For that matter, the same is true in hand sewing.  I always wax my natural
threads, and often use thread heaven on sythetic threads.  Jeri mentioned
this but with so much information in her posting perhaps some of you missed
it.  My mother taught me fifty years ago to thread the needle from the end
that comes first off the spool, but in my experience it doesn't make much
difference. (I've always wondered if it is a bit of an old wives tale
without much substance).  And course coatings such as beeswax discourage the
thread from untwisting.  But if I'm caught without the wax (read, too lazy
to go get it) I find that re-twisting the thread regularly as I sew
eliminates the tendency of the thread to tangle and knot on itself.

Perspective of a long-time spinner,
Regards,
Carolyn

Carolyn W. Hastings