On 31 Jul 2005, at 02:00, Tamara P Duvall wrote:

We were told to bring #5 pencil. WalMart has never heard of it and, truth to tell, I heven't seen one since I left Poland (1972), so I didn't have one. Deb Bender (the organiser of the workshop) had supplied a box of them, for all other lame ducks like myself, but I never got to use it. By the time I got past the stitch-counting stage and to the free-drawn design, it was quite evident (from the speedier learners' efforts) that a pencil that hard may keep its point very well, but doesn't leave a very visible line behind it...

What's a #5 pencil?

In UK our pencils are graded from 9B, 8B..........B, HB, H, 2H...............9H with the B grades being progressively softer and blacker whilst the H grades are harder and less dark. The H grades are used mostly for technical drawings whist the B grades are used by artists. HB is the bog-standard writing pencil.

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk