Hadn't thought of that one, but by 'spool' I think you are referring to the little sewing machine spool that takes the under-thread. I was referring to the spools on which the thread originally comes (Gutermann, Coats, Molnlycke, DMC etc etc).

Re: the spools used for the under thread in a lock stitch sewing machine; I have a Frister-Rosman machine and although the spool case is fixed the spool inside does rotate (anti-clockwise) as the stitches are made. It is the hook around the outside of the spool case which moves backwards and forwards to catch the thread already released from the spool for each stitch. I think most other makes of machine work in a similar way.

One thing that I know *is* significant with sewing machines is that they are designed for use with Z spun threads, 3Z for regular seam stitching and 2Z for satin stitch embroidery.

Brenda