Am dragging it back to lace, since it might be relevant...

On Jul 31, 2005, at 18:01, Carol Adkinson wrote:

Hi Jeri et al,

I have followed the thread with a great deal of interest - despite feeling that none of my lace will be of heirloom quality, I would never have the
nerve to use adhesives of any kind on my lace, but wonder if anyone can
answer a question - not specifically for me, as I don't and won't use glues, but a student talked to Vivienne Walton about ending lace with adhesives on
the knots ...

Vivienne sells the glue-stuff - Fray-Check I think - and does recommend it heartily if one doesn't like doing sewings, and my student was telling the others in the class about this miracle stuff. Thankfully, they did ask my opinion, and I truthfully told them that I have never used it, and wouldn't want to try, just in case ... but a couple of them were very taken by the idea. So - does anyone know how long it has been around, and if there are
any adverse reports so far.   And how long could it be before something
nasty happens to the colour of the lace??? I know that Vivienne uses it on her items, and they look beautiful, so I do wonder if there could be any
danger in using it - as I think there possibly could be!

Thanks for your help ...

Carol - in Suffolk UK.

Because of sheer laziness, I used Fray-Check, about 15 yrs ago, on some inside seams of a silk shirt. Can't say about brown-staining - the shirt itself is sort-of muddy brown - but those seams became razor-sharp the moment they dried; none of your soft, pliable, plasticky glue feel. Because I love the colour and the cut of the shirt, I wear - and wash - it frequently. The seams are beginning to fray, but they're still scratchy, as if they'd been woven in wire or at least metallic thread, not silk. Yuck.

The bottle got tossed immediately, and I never again used Fray-Check. Would not occur to me to use it on lace, even if the formula might have changed over the years.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/