the reason why i was interested in using wax on the thread is because i
am going to spin it myself. i thought it would hold its twist better.
it is going to be wet spun and i will let it dry completely before i
untwist it from the spindle, but i want to make sure it will not
untwist and break.  there is also parafin wax, but i have no idea if
that could be used in its place.  parafin does not have the same
chemical make up of beeswax and may not work at all.  i don't think it
yellows though.  all wax probably can be used in any project, so i
guess it wouldn't matter.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 7/28/2005 6:17:35 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > One thing I haven't seen raised in this thread - I seem to recall
> that
> > beeswax is acidic. I don't know how acidic, and I don't know if or
> how
> > beeswax would affect linen thread over time, but it is something to
>
> > think about.
> >
> > If somebody has a piece that was made, say, at least 5-10 years
> ago,
> > that had beeswax on it, it would be interesting to hear from them
> as to
> > the current condition of the piece. I am always very reluctant to
> put
> > *anything* onto my linen threads, since the very first linen doily
> > made turned deep amber brown on the parts where I "reinforced" my
> knots
> > with fabric glue.
>

> Maybe none of my beeswax (sorry - couldn't resist!), but could
> "acidity" or
> the other characteristics affecting the suitability of beeswax over
> the
> long-term possibly have to do with whether (or how) it is processed
> or not? I've got
> some "raw" beeswax, that is yellow and has a distinct aroma (nice! -
> and
> cheap!), and processed beeswax that is white and odorless. It also
> seems to be
> harder, and maybe it would be more resistant to collecting dust. (I
> wouldn't use
> raw beeswax on white or light fibers, needless to say, but it's
> certainly
> useful for sewing on buttons, and certain other utilitarian tasks.)
>
> Ricki
> Utah (yup, the beehive state) USA
>
> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the
> line:
> unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from susan in tennessee,u.s.a.