> The tree guys were here yesterday to prune our
> trees.  One of them is a
> lilac tree, ...I saved
> the trunk.  It's 6 to 6
> 1/2 inches in diameter and 15 feet in length.  It's
> thought to be 50 years
> old and the tree guy said it's disease free.  Bobbin
> makers:  do you think
> bobbins can be made out of it?  Is anyone interested
> in having a piece?

::chuckle::  If you think you can chuck a piece of it
from Alaska to Illinois I'd love to make some bobbins
from it -- I don't think I'd be able to make it to
Alaska any time soon :D  Too bad; I'm just learning to
fish, and the northlands would be a beautiful place to
try my luck.

Seriously, I have a tatting shuttle made of lilac.
Some of the stripes yellowed or browned, some stayed a
beautiful purple, and I think it ended up with more
character as the colors changed.  It was, I think,
very young (not fully dry) and so the glue at the
point didn't hold perfectly but it is still very
servicable and lovely - I just woodglued the point
layers back together.  I'm sure you know, but be aware
of how the wood can warp if it's not fully dried
before it's carved.

Whatever you do with it, enjoy!

Chris - who prefers trees alive, but *really*
appreciates the proper recycling of them :D

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." -- Benazir
Bhutto