In a message dated 8/25/05 6:22:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I was talking with a friend today and she told me that the V & A will  be
> receiving funds for revamping itself. Does anyone know if the lace rooms
> will  be
> revamped or even retained?

Well, Devon, I do not know about details for the future.  I tried to do a
Search, and kept going to unrelated sites.  *Perhaps someone with more skill
than
I have can succeed in finding a press release.*

However, recently they did a huge remodeling of space, and reopened the
British Galleries 1500-1900.  This was the largest project that the V&A had
undertaken since its staff reinstalled the entire Museum in 1947-52, after the
evacuation of objects to safe storage during the Second World War.

The book "Design & the Decorative Arts - Britain 1500-1900", by Michael
Snodin and John Styles was published by the V&A (Distributed by Abrams
Publishers
in North America), to be released when the new galleries opened in 2002, ISBN
0-8109-6586-0.  I just got on the scales without the book, then with the book -
it seems to weigh in at 9 pounds.  Cost $75.  488 pages.  I wrote a report of
this book to Arachne on December 26, 2004, in connection with correspondence
about the Margaret Laton Jacket that is trimmed with gold lace.  This was a
subject of interest to you, because the jacket is documented by a portrait that
is now (finally) in the same exhibit case as the jacket.  What is interesting
is that the lace in the portrait is not the same as the lace that is now sewn
on the jacket.

For scholars on Arachne, the book is divided into 3 sections, and is packed
with color photos and interesting history:

Tudor & Stuart Britain 1500-1714
Georgian Britain 1714-1837
Victorian Britain 1837-1901

This book should be in the library at the Metropolitan Museum, and might
still be for sale in the museum's bookshop, Devon.  Look, and you will see a
level
of professionalism that one could only wish were possible in all museums.

Qualtity is exceptional.  If this is any example of what might happen to the
lace and embroidery galleries, I do not think you have cause for concern.
Indeed, the laces and embroideries will probably benefit from more protection
from people and the environment.  I have visited these galleries several times,
and found conditions to be rather lax, and laces to be soiled.   Did not
someone (Jean Peach?) write that some items had been stolen and these
particular
galleries have been closed until a solution can be found for proper exhibition?

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center