On Sep 14, 2005, at 4:14, Jean Barrett wrote:

Brenda has also measured a single strand of the new DMC linen at 25 wraps per cm. and it is now on the latest addendum list, number 3 on her web site. I think that most reasonably good embroidery supply shops should carry it. Do be careful of the costs however. I received a new craft catalogue last week. It's an American firm called Herrschners. I think they must be trying to start up in this country. That is where I saw the threads offered. When I checked our local shop I found that the catalogue price was 25 pence a skein more than the shop price, unless you were willing to buy the whole range of 24 skeins. Then you have to add postage. Buyers beware!

Buyers beware indeed! *Please* be very, very careful when internet/catalogue shopping, and compare the prices of what might be available to you locally first, before making a commitment. Among other things, it's easier to curb one's greed when handling actual samples, then it is when click-clicking on the Internet <g>

In the past, I found Herrschners to be a "good deal" *only* if one was making a *big* deal - on smaller amounts any WalMart matched it, skein for skein. And their shipping had always been higher - skein for skein - than VA tax, making Walmart a better choice, if only by pennies (but pennies do add up), while, at the same time, contributing to *my state's* "pocket"... Add their general un-reliability (things I ordered didn't come; things I did order didn't). Postal to-and-an fro, on top of the *hours* wasted tyring to get the "service dept" on hte phone... I've not ordered anything from Herrschners in 10 yrs or so and the fact that they keep sending me their catalogues only confirms my general opinion of them :)

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/