Pardon my ignorance, but why are so many of the lace books out of print?

It would seem to me that if we wanted this to be passed on that we would
not the books to be so difficult or expensive to get..

I am starting to feel discouraged.  I do have a few books that I was
able to purchase, but how could I "spread the word" so to speak if
getting the information is too hard to come by for people after me?

As always,

Tracie  <<~~~~ who still needs to connect with a "local" group in the
Sacramento, CA area.I know there is one in the Bay Area but as a newbie
to IOLI I have not yet received my directory.