In a message dated 10/9/2005 11:06:50 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
IF the iron is working properly, the only thing leaving the vents
should be pure H2O vapor (steam).  When water is heated to steam, it's
the water molecules that go into the air as a gas, leaving the minerals
behind.  The reason so many (especially older) irons needed to have
distilled water was because those minerals left behind can build up and
clog the steam vents and channels.

Thanks, Robin -- That makes sense -- ah, yes, I remember science class now!
But what happens to the built-up hard water deposits in these new irons, I
wonder, then? Do they just clog up in time?

Regards,
Ricki
Utah