Kathy told us how upsetting it was when she took her first piece of lace  off
the pillow and it twisted.

Well, Kathy, I don't know how long you've been subscribed to Arachne but not
so very long ago Brenda Paternoster was trying to do a 'research project' to
establish which combination of threads and stitches had this effect.  And
that's what made your lace twist.  Unlikely to have been any mistake in your
lacemaking (except that your tension was probably good or the thread wouldn't
have
been 'stressed' enough to twist the whole piece), just an unfortunate
combination of thread and stitch type.

Unfortunately I don't think Brenda was able to come to any firm conclusion of
which combination of threads and stitches to avoid.

One of my very early pieces was a simple Torchon fan edge worked as a circle.
 I made it in crochet cotton which was way too thick and when I took it off
the pillow it buckled and just wouldn't lay flat.  So I then made the same
piece in sewing cotton which was way too thin (I did learn eventually how to
sample threads, and now with "Threads for Lace" life is so much easier).  It
lay
flat but was so flimsy I had to applique it to fabric so it didn't pull out of
shape.

The problems with the first I blamed for years on the thread being so thick,
but one day I was showing the two extremes to a student and was playing with
the thick bit.  Quite by accident I folded it and all of a sudden it was flat -
somehow I had worked two repeats too many!  So obvious in hindsight.

Jacquie in England