In a message dated 10/16/05 10:49:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
writes:

> If you have a copy of Gertrude Whiting's "Old-Time Tools & Toys of
> Needlework", page 79 shows a sprang frame with work in progress that looks
> somewhat like a piece of knitted lace.  The "List of Illustrations" in the
> front of the book (page X) calls this "Egypto-Ruthenian Lace with
> Stretcher-Frame".
>
> Her description, written in the 1920's, says "Call it a loom, a frame, a
> stretcher -- what you will.  A Greek term has been applied to the recently
> discovered spinning-knee of Greece, so perhaps an Egyptian word meaning
> "stretcher-frame" should be given to this appliance.  As shown in the
> picture, the wires under and over which the thread is first set up can be
> tightened by means of pegs.  By manipulating the threads in the center --
> lifting one in front of the other -- a double stitch is produced, one
> accumulating above, a like one at the same time below, in this way forming
> with one set of operations two identical strips of lace."
>
> The photo appears in the chapter called "Instruments of Precision --
> Measures", but the only description of the piece I have found in the book
> is the one below the photo itself, and the title in the list of
> illustrations.

More on the books with Sprang references, from Jeri:

The Whiting book was originally published by Columbia University NY in 1928
as "Tools and Toys of Stitchery".  The Dover reprint editions with the title
"Old-Time Tools and Toys of Needlework", which may still be available in
libraries.

There is a 1924 American book, possibly copied by Tess for the Professor's
site, "American Lace and Lace-Makers" by Emily Noyes Vanderpoel, published by
Yale University Press in New Haven Connecticut.  One item, Plate 2, is a
Peruvian lace bag found in a tomb, probably 4,000 years old (similar - but not
identical - pattern to the vest in Arizona).  The next plate in the book is
also
identified as Peruvian lace 2-4,000 years old from the collection of Marian
Powys
the New York lace dealer to whom we sometimes refer on Arachne.  This piece
is rather primative, but very airy in appearance.  It is not in Powys' book.

Have copied everyone's references and placed them in the Sprang book by
Collingwood.  This way, the info will be together the next time the subject
arises
on Arachne.

Before we all jump on the idea that bobbin lace may have been developed from
this unique weaving technique we now call "Sprang" (a modern term used in
Sweden), please remember the fashion influence of elaborate braids that were
sewn
on clothes at the time just before bobbin lace developed in Europe.  These
decorative braids were woven by a macrame-type technique, with the macrame
cords
held on large bobbins.  Many people think the concept of using bobbins in this
way was refined, and much smaller bobbins were used to hold fine linen and
metal threads to make early bobbin laces.  This is more logical to me.

Thanks to all who have written on this interesting topic.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center