They do have a similar appearance.  However, I realize we have not yet
really said how sprang is made, and boy!  I find it hard to describe
without drawing little diagrams!
Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA

Didn't my message arrive? I'll repeat:

http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/coll/peris2.shtml describes it a a
non-loom technique. I don't know which part of the weaving gear is exactly
the loom, but you do need some frame work, or at least two sticks kept at a
distance, between an oposite chair an your belly.
http://www.regia.org/life/sprang.htm and
http://www.stringpage.com/sprang/sprang1.html show the basics clearly.
The professor has a dutch book in his collection: search for sprang on
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/books.html

Jo Falkink