On Oct 21, 2005, at 18:05, Clay Blackwell wrote:

I don't think that the value of the individual member's contribution can always be measured in the length of their membership.

Certainly not, though, often, the members of longer standing tend to be less shy about both asking and replying to questions - on the list - than those who joined within the last few months. I know that it took me a long time to gather the courage to do so (though, once over that hump, there was no stopping me <g>), and I was forced to do it by my private "conduit" - she got tired of posting my messages as hers :) Also, I think we provide a sense of continuity; my original "conduit" has dropped out after a couple of years.

I learn as much from the observations of occasional lurkers who have been members for a couple of years as I do from those sturdy individuals who have stayed the course since 1995. In fact, the questions from new members often elicit the most
useful responses, so without the questions, no one would benefit!!

Indeed this is so. Old questions often present a new angle. New answers to old questions usually reflect that, whether they're answered by another newbie/lurker or by someone who's been on the list for ages. And the new answers to the old questions also represent the lacemaker's own growth, even if answered by the same person who'd answered them 5 yrs ago. All of it is valuable

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/