Hi All

Recent messages have made me realise just how guilty I am of Lurking. I've been
on the list since 1996 and have hardly posted at all for the last few years. So
to redress the balance here goes for a short report (got to be short as I'm off
to Lace Day in Garrucha in half an hour).

This summer DH and I decided to visit Dutch friends who had moved to France a
couple of years ago. A look at a large scale map showed that their hamlet (3
houses) ia about an hours drive from Le Puy. As this has been on my 'must go
there' list for a long time it seemed to good an opportunity to miss.

3 days driving - it's a long way from southern Spain - (including going over the
fantastic Millau brige) bought us to our destination and peace and quiet in our
friends new home (old farmhouse which they are renovating). Several glasses of
wine later and lots of talking and I found out that Le Puy would not be my only
place to visit. The nearby village of Arlanc also has a Lace Museum so that got
added to the 'must visit' list.

After a couple of days 'chilling out' we set off to Arlanc and what a wonderful
surprise. A small museum dedicated entirely to lace and with a wonderful French
lacemaker to make sure we got the most out of it. Having taken our money, she
accompanied us round the museum explaining the history of the local lace
industry, who the photo's were of and their relevance, pulled out drawers full
of lace which wasn't on display and generaly made sure we hadn't missed
anything. 2 hours passed swiftly and as we left she gave us a lace museum
'passport' which would give us discount on the entry price of other lace
museums in the district.

Rest of report will have to wait till later as it's time for me to leave for
Lace Day................... report on that later as well :-)

Pam Mattioli

in sunny Vera Playa in Almeria in the south of Spain