Another reason for the relative "senior" status of new lacemakers is that
unless a young woman is fortunate enough to marry someone who can support
her "domestic goddess" status, she is required to work to contribute to the
family income.  Adding children to the mix creates someone whose time is
divided between full-time mom, full-time employee, and full-time
house-drone (the term goddess having long-since been given up!).

My own DD is a perfect example of this.  When she was young, I tried to
teach her to sew, but she wanted none of it.  Once she was off to college,
however, she taught herself to sew because a) dorm curtains were cheaper
this way and b) she could make money making them for others.  She is first
and foremost an artist (but earns her salary as a teacher).  I have tried
to encourage her to learn to make lace, but she isn't interested.  Her life
is entirely too busy, and their home is defined by their sons...  There is
no "safe haven" for lacemaking supplies and equipment, nor does she have
the hours of quiet solitude which contribute so well to absorbing the
skills.

I have told my DD that she will inherit my lacemaking things but I don't
want her to sell them until her children have homes of their own.  By then,
she will probably be at an ideal stage to appreciate the art, and will have
everything she needs to try it.  If she doesn't "take" to it, she can then
sell the things and do what pleases her with the money she gets.  She has
indicated that she would like to have them, since they have meant so much
to me, but is still skeptical.

Still... there's hope.

Clay

Clay Blackwell