> checking the  credentials of orthodontists, either. And I have noticed that
> the
> craft of  making flies for fly fishing involves all the same equipment as
> lace,  lights, magnification, clamps, thread.

My thought - in a room full of fly-tying, fly-fishing and similar
equipment, there will be mostly men, and some women. Some of the women
will  be bored, a few will be interested, because they, too, like fly
fishing. Other women will be examining the tools and supplies closely
for lace-related uses.

In a room full of lacemaking equipment, there will be mostly women,
and some men. Likewise some of the men will be bored, some will be
quite interested because they, too, are lacemakers, and the rest will
be thinking of ways to sneak back to the fly-fishing room.

> Wouldn't it send a message that lace is worthwhile if attractive young men,
> or even distinguished older men were seen to be doing it?

I think lace should be considered worthwhile, period ;)

--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)