Now my story's a little different than most.. I've had one bobbin lace lesson, it was years ago and my pillow sits largely lonely and empty until my life settles a bit to give me more time at home. Unlike folks who have already gotten the skills, I'm still at the learning stage where it takes me 15 mins to figure out what the heck I'm doing. Not exactly food court practical yet.

Perhaps about 7 yrs ago.. I learned to knit and crochet. I decided, very quickly, that I did not much care for the look of crochet in large yarn.. but thread crochet.. now /that/ I didnt mind the look of. So, not yet able to tension full sized crochet, I got myself a ball of crochet cotton, a tiny little hook and a 'teach yourself thread crochet book'. I can still remember sitting at the bus stop, having bought the stuff at the local 'craft and plant centre', waiting to go home and trying over and over again to even make a chain with the thread and hook that small. (size 10 cotton, size 7 hook). Took me a few weeks, but I got it. And ruined my wrist. Crochet got put on a shelf as every stitch was agony. I needed to ADORE a crochet pattern before I braved doing it. Still do for that matter.

Around the same time, I learned to knit. Took well enough to that with chunky thread and big needles.. made a few things and then found myself (and my spouse) unemployed. I didnt have enough money to buy balls and balls of yarn for a sweater, but /did/ have that forgotten ball of crochet cotton.. I had, by this point, my grandmother's knitting needles and got out that size 10 cotton and some little knitting pins and taught myself to knit lace. There, I found my love. It was like a duck into water, me into lace knitting. No one told me it was supposed to be hard when I started, it just seemed like a good way to get a whole lotta knitting out of a ball of cotton that had cost me $1.29.

<grin> Now both my husband and I work full time, and I've got <mumblemumble> rubbermaid totes full of yarn and cotton and have recently splurged into laceweight wool/silk (Zephyr for the knitters) for some shawls. It's a long long way from knitting for economy!

I found arachne somewhere in this journey, mostly for chat, although I wandered back and forth on and off the lace-devoted list until I decided that perhaps just reading about bobbin lace might osmose some knowledge for when I get back to it. It's a theory!

Oh and I've tried tatting. I try tatting about every year or so, get tangled, swear a lot, cut it off and throw it out. I will master it before I die. Yes, I've tried needle, shuttle, books, internet videos and real honest to goodness tatters in person. I think it might be hopeless.

Heather -- who is currently knitting lace with chunky wool and big needles, it's terribly odd!