Dear all -- Please take a minute or two and walk with me around Robin Hood's barn; I am just dying to share this experience.

Some years ago, at a meeting of our local EGA chapter (embroiderers), I was impelled by some absolutely mysterious and unforeseen urge, to approach one of our members, a gifted embroiderer, and suggest that she take a workshop to learn how to make lace. She and I had only recently become acquainted; I doubt if it had ever occurred to her that lace was being made, or at least being handmade; and when the words were out of my mouth, we two beheld each other in some astonishment. But the mysterious urge apparently leaped from me to her; there was an upcoming lace workshop shortly, leaving just enough time for her to learn to twist and cross and buy some bobbins; and she plunged bravely into that workshop. Not long after that, she left our part of the country.

Next thing I knew, my little daughter-in-lace had become an arachnid, and so we stayed in occasional touch.

This morning's mail brought me a card from our Arachne Christmas-card exchange, a beautiful lace candle, exquisitely made in white and gold, with the flame done in the most perfect half-stitch I have ever seen. And by the same mysterious chance that had produced that fledgling lacemaker some years earlier, who was the maker of this beautiful piece of lace? None other than my above-described daughter-in-lace, randomly assigned to me in the card exchange.

Not-so-by-the-way, the maker of that beautiful candle is Barbara Joyce. Fate? Destiny? Coincidence? Barbara, thank you again and again for the lovely card!

Aurelia