> >  You don't *need* bobbins to make wire
> > lace, but they are useful to manage many wires.

... Theoretically, you don't need bobbins to make
> _thread_ lace, either.

If you count finger-weaving - I would agree. But 'bobbin' lace -
needs... bobbins... The bobbins manage and package the thread, whereas
wire can be handled without. you can tape it out of the way until
needed, if necessary. Even plied wire, and even when combining
colours. You've got to think outside your pillow ;)
For very fine wire, bobbins or similar management are probably
necessary, but fine wire poses other problems - such as it can break
and kink - so then multiple strands can be used - and although I'd be
happier without the bobbins, the type that are described in Gloriana
are perfect..

> Bobbins are also useful for taking up the excess, gently.

But only if winding the wire around something doesn't destroy its
integrity, for making the lace. Have you ever tried making wire lace
without bobbins - by having the unused wires ahead of you? as in
basketry. It requires rethinking of the 'bobbin lace' part of the
method.

> differ in the two fibers and need to be considered.

sigh - wire is not a fibre! It is a strand; it is inorganic, and it
differs a lot from 'thread' made of linen, cotton, polyester...
'metal' when used as thread, isn't wire ;)

I pick these nits so as to point out that wire lacemaking isn't
necessarily an easy transition from making bobbin lace conventionally.

--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)