Just had a quick check on the 1881 census - there were approximately 1,443 "Jean" entries. Some of them are "Born in France" so could well be male .

There are only 9 in Beds and Bucks (couldn't think of where else to look for potential lacemakers).

Malvary in Ottawa

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean Barrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lace Arachne" <lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:50 AM
Subject: [lace] Inscribed bobbins

Good morning All,
I took a quick look at the "Susan' bobbin. The sale had ended by then though. A couple of things struck me. The green colour was startling, but I have one similar. But I cannot remember seeing a Coloured inscribed bobbin. Also all the inscriptions I have seen have been in block capital letters. 'Susan' appeared to be cursive. The other thing that worries me about it is the name itself 'Susan' This is only a gut feeling as they say, but Susan does not strike me as a victorian name. I have been searching for a 'Jean' bobbin for years but I know that I am unlikely to find one. Victorians just did not call their daughters that. Jan is the nearest I can come up with.
Jean in Cleveland U.K.