Helen Tucker wrote:

Ah, there is one type of English lace that is "back-to-front" :o)  Downton lace
(from the Dorset/Wiltshire area) is worked with the footside/headside swapped
compared to other English laces.  Don't ask me why though, 'cause I couldn't
tell you!
I think this is because Downton/Wiltshire is on the way north for many of the Protestant refugees coming from France They would be going to join families, possibly ,who had already arrived and on moved into the E.Mids. where there were settlements of similar sects... A number of Downton patterns are very similar to those done in Normandy. Maybe Shelly Canning could help or Pompi Parry.
Sheila in a very, gloomy Sawbridgeworth.
www.lace-helpandhistory.info

Helen, Somerset, UK

--- CLIVE Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And to continue, I learned to make lace in England back in the 1970s, and that is where, at that time, every lace I studie that was made in England at that time, had the footside on the right and the headside on the left. Bucks, Beds, Torchon, and Honiton - no matter what type bobbin we used. We knew that Continental lacemakers did it in reverse.

Happy Lacemaking, Right or Left,
Betty Ann Rice in Roanoke, Virginia USA

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com