Gentle Spiders,

I've finally got around to reading the whole Bulletin; being obsessive-compulsive, I read everything, whether it's "my" technique or not. As usual, the highlight was Devon's article (in my next life, I want to have her -- sly and quiet -- sense of humour <g>), though I think the entire Bulletin keeps improving; the other articles (Miro and Eurell) were "classy" also.

I have a question (stemming from my obsessive curiosity and reading material not really "suitable")... What's the difference between a "blanket" stitch and a "buttonhole" one? Nancy Evans (Needle Lace With Nancy), on p 11, says: "[...] begin blanket (often wrongly called buttonhole) stitching tightly [...]"

Before I got a sewing machine which makes buttonhole-making a snap (well... most of them <g>), I made buttonholes by hand for years and years. And I often finished inner seams -- also by hand -- in what I think of as "blanket stitch". But to me, _the only difference_ was that buttonhole stitches were laid closely together, while the blanket ones were spaced out further apart. That seems not to be the case, if blanket stitches are to be stitched "tightly"...

Yours, in search of enlightment,
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/