On Jan 16, 2006, at 10:42, Leonard Bazar wrote:

I've virtually always ended up with
the main angle of work top right to  bottom left,
whichever side the footside was on [...]
Has anyone noticed this, or is it just
me being awkward?  Can it make a difference to
tensioning, or anything else that might matter?

And Robin Panza replied:
As for an angle of work, it really depends on the pattern for me.  On
my one try at wide and complex Skan (which has no pins except at the
edges), I always made a mad dash for the footside (on the left) so I
could anchor the thread.  This meant the edge of the worked area was
upper-right to lower-left.  On torchon and Bucks, I often work in a
chevron or even zig-zag edge as I work an area as far as it can go,
then move to another area and work it.  I like to complete
motifs/sections whenever possible, and this leads to a front edge that
progresses in bits and pieces.  There have even been occasions when I
worked from the footside down/right to the headside because that's the
way I could understand the pattern.

Like Robin, I tend to work "logical sections", ie as far as a part will go, before pushing a bunch of bobbins out of the way and moving on to the next bunch. But I tend to work those sections in a general upper-right to lower-left direction, even if the line isn't exactly smooth. That has always seemed the most comfortable way to me, irrespective of where the headside is. The one time I tried to do it the other way around (in a case of two headsides and no footsides), I felt "boxed in" while working the part on the left. So, if the pattern's sections indicate that they ought to be worked upper-left to lower-right, I usually do not follow my own advice (finish the "logical section" first if possible), but work them only partially before moving to the side.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/