That one does work!

I have a piece of drawn thread embroidery which looks very similar, though mine is salmon pink with linen with cream embroidery. It has the same circles and crosses and zig-zag diagonal "footedge". Mine is a traycloth 12"x18" and two 8"x8" napkins still folded and tacked to the bigger cloth so it's never been used. Picked it up in an antique shop in Rochester, but my instinctive feeling is that it's from the Mediterranean area. If the piece on Ebay is a similar weight then Alice is right in thinking it's a table mat and not a hankie.

There's a scan of my piece, which I think shows the embroidery threads more clearly on
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/traycloth.jpg

Brenda