About five years ago I went on a Waterways of Russia tour, a delightful
journey in a boat gliding along the canals, rivers and lakes that joined
Moscow to St. Petersburg.  I was with my dear friend Pat, who sadly died a
couple of years ago.  I remember listening to the nightingales singing in the
birch trees along the banks as the midnight sun still shone long after 11 pm.

In the north we stopped at the lakeside in the Vologda region and were lucky
to see the lace-workers, even in the the cold climate, outide working at their
bolster pillows which were set with the long side at the front and were worked
round as the pattern progressed.  I recall this thread being discused a while
ago and remember sending Lori some photos of the lace workers and the actual
tape lace I purchased from them, on her web-site.  I bought a mat, a butterfly
and an angel.  I used the angel pattrn for my Romanian Point Lace book and
there are similar designs in a recent book on lace angels.

Angela in foggy, cilly, frosty Worcestershire UK.