"Malvary J Cole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When I did a pottery class a few years ago I used a bit of knitted lace
>pressed into the wet clay of some napkin holders.  I was inspired by a clock
>which my brother had given me for Christmas which has the pattern of some
>fillet lace on it.  You can't reuse the lace, you leave it pressed into the
>clay and then it burns away when you fire it.

I've done this, too, using tatting I made for the purpose using fairly
thick thread.  It's been a couple of years, but I think I used size 10
crochet thread.

I did not leave the tatting in the clay -- since the tatting stood up to
being pressed in and peeled back out, that was what I did.  I washed it
afterwards and still have the tatted pieces.  Now that I have knitted some,
I can understand that knitted lace would probably not be up to the
peeling-out process.

I made a whole bunch of experimental pieces, using combinations of all the
glazes the art center had available, to see which ones would leave the
tatting impression visible.  I only wish I had the money to continue -- it
was great fun!

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com
http://lost-arts.blogspot.com/