what is an aficot?
Dorte

Hi Dorte,

In needle lace, the finishing step is to use a smooth implement to make
the surface of the stitches smooth and uniform.  Traditionally, this was
a lobster claw, but often was a tool made by a wood worker.  It is a
burnisher, really.  A burnisher is anything that can smooth something
out.  When I was a child, I used to burnish the foil wrappers from
chewing gum with my fingernail, to make it look new and shiny again.

Aficots come in all shapes and sizes, they fit nicely in your hand and
have a rounded end for broad areas and narrow down to a smooth point for
harder to reach, smaller parts of the work.

The objective was to achieve the look of carved ivory, and was very
successful.

Patty