In a message dated 2/14/2006 9:10:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I  thought she did a great job.  NL is really impossible to explain in  one
sentance so that was a dud but the rest was quite good.  She had  the BLers
weaving and braiding their fine threads and we've certainly read  worse than
that! 


I take credit for the weaving and braiding comment, although she didn't  cite 
me as a direct quote. 
 
Describing needle lace briefly is very difficult. Whenever I try to do it,  
the writer usually interrupts me with the comment, "This is not a long 
article."  The concept of couching the anchoring threads and working on them is 
very 
hard  for people to understand, especially people who are unfamiliar with the 
term  "couch". Actually the description of "pulling needle and thread through 
several  layers of cloth" is probably a description of the couching process. 
 
"It is a fabric made entirely of buttonhole stitches" is a phrase I usually  
use in opposition to bobbin lace "a weaving, braiding technique". 
 
If someone has a nice concise and easily understood description of  
needlelace, please send it to me and I will put it in a special file for these  
occasions. Being in the New York area, I seem to receive a lot of inquiries 
from  the 
press. (Too bad the IOL doesn't have a formal public relations bureau for me  
to refer people to.)
 
Recently, I was discussing bobbin lace with a writer from a craft magazine,  
who was largely humoring me because she really wanted to discuss crochet. She  
said, "Bobbin lace is basically weaving on a pillow, right?" Should I have  
agreed with her? I snarled inaudibly and said, "well, it is a weaving and  
braiding technique, but very complex." 
 
Incidentally, I can send a copy of the Wall Street Journal article  
electronically if anyone wanting it contacts me privately.
 
Devon

-
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to