Don't be impressed too much by the price of many tools. Most have a cheap alternative. For example bobbins of wood bbq-sticks and old magazines (as poited out already), a string as a bobbin winder, the "JÄLL laundry bag with stand" of Ikea as a pillow stand.

Well, basically, I have renewed my interest in learning by joining
this group.... Don't know where to find the pillow or bobbins, (should
note here:  I CANNOT order online...at least not from most websites.
Very few that I can - have to use money orders.....)  As for teachers
- can't afford classes.  No extra money in the budget for that at
all.....  And our library is well stocked with books on bobbin lace,
I've discovered - some 20 titles, if I recall, a lot of great beginner
books.  I'm working my way through the list... :)