My hubby and I had just a small, family wedding. There weren't particularly any bachelors to catch my garter so we kept it. DH hung it from his rear view mirror!! It stayed there until it disintegrated from the sunlight hitting it. It was a store-bought one as I didn't know anything about hand made lace then :D