Hi Dona and everyone, I am making a garter for my niece, I tried one earlier and had done a one piece strip with holes to thread the ribbon and elastic but didn't like the way the ribbon bunched when gathered. The one I am doing currently is using the lucky horseshoe pattern, have done one strip of about a 36 inches and just begun the second strip, I intend to sew both pieces to eitherside of a double ribbon with elastic threaded through the middle. I suggestion made by my ex teacher, hope it works well!! Haven't got that far yet. I will use blue ribbon or at least a blue bow motif to sew on at the end.

I will have to see if I can find a reasonable throw away one, don't know if our couple will want to do that or not, but good to be prepared.

I enjoyed reading your helpful suggestions as this will be my first completed garter made for a bride, maybe not my last, I have quite a lot of nieces:-) I am going to 'lend' the bride the bridal hanky I made and also provide a packet of tissues. My hanky for carrying not for wiping:-) then it can be returned and loaned out to the next family bride.
Sue T in chilly Dorset UK, but no snow:-)

Hi Dona and everyone

First off, not to worry if the question has been asked before - ask away...

So, for the first few questions...would 1.5 inches be a wide enough lace?

Yes, if you are attaching it to ribbon ('something blue' presumably)
If the lace is narrow, choose wide ribbon.

And
exactly how is the lace attached to the elastic?

It does depend a bit on the lace, whether you are gathering it or not.
Looking at your pattern 'Marjory' I should think you wouldn't want to
make more than necessary
I'll let others answer about the attaching.

And I'm assuming the length
should be based on the measurement of her thigh x how much?

again, depends on if you are gathering the lace. The length I'm
working on, a Torchon repeat,  will be lightly gathered, and I'm
making 1 metre. The bride-to-be has been shy about telling me her leg
measurement so I'm going by that recommended by V. Sorensen in 75
Quick and Easy Patterns. For my lace I could even thread the
ribbon/elastic in as I go, in the middle area (I haven't done this
yet). For a picture or two, see my blog, url below.

The pattern we
are currently looking at is called Marjory, found in 100 Traditional Bobbin
Lace Patterns by Stott and Cook.

There is a lot of weaving going on in the petal areas, might be time
consuming in the long run? Have a look at Maybuds a few pages earlier,
or Lucky Horseshoes near the beginning - both have less areas of solid
weaving (eliminate the tallies in the Maybuds) and will work up more
quickly. If you go with Lucky Horseshoes you can make quite a bit and
gather it more fully, for a garter.
I made a hanky edging for a bride with the pattern Celebration, and
made another bride a length of 'Wedding Bells' - both times with a
time limit, and it wasn't fun trying to hurry the lace. My favourite
when time is short is to make the Little Hearts pattern. It works up
quickly and is an interesting repeat.

The idea is to work the lace in silk using white Au Ver A Soie with a blue
gimp, hopefully in Soie Perlee.  I've not checked yet to see if that is
available.  Is this a reasonable plan?

It sounds reasonable if you can get the thread. Silk is lovely to work with.

For future reference, don't forget to have a 'throwaway' garter on
hand if the groom is going to toss the garter ;)