In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Alice Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>The English terminology is:
>Half Stitch     CT
>Whole Stitch    CTC
>Double Stitch   CTCT (or Whole stitch plus a twist)
>
>The Continental terminology is:
>Half stitch    TC
>Cloth or Linen stitch  CTC
>Whole Stitch   TCTC

The English terminology depends very much upon who taught you! I was
taught that CTC is cloth, whole or linen stitch. Linen stitch is the
most logical, because the finished effect looks like a piece of linen,
however I prefer to call it cloth stitch, and CTCT cloth & twist. The
only problem here is if you get a slightly deaf student, used to doing
her (embroidery) cross stitch, who latches on to "cross & twist"!

Whole stitch, as a term, opens such a can of worms these days that I
wonder how many of us are using the other names to avoid the problems?
Certainly we have to make sure that students are aware of all of the
names, because of the wide availability of books and the different terms
used in them.

>The English laces are mostly worked on flat pillows
>with the bobbins lying supported.  The Twist stitch
>will hold it's position when not being used.

This is a fairly modern thing, though, just about every photograph/image
of an old professional English lacemaker I have seen shows either a
bolster pillow for East Midlands laces, or Honiton pillow for Honiton
lace. Flat pillows appear to have come in with the convenience of
polystyrene - they are more likely to be found as traditional in
Belgium??? I think most of us probably use the modern domed pillows.
Something to research into? David Turner is going to be talking about
how pillows are made (as well as some of the history of their business -
Church Meadow Crafts - he has taken over pillow making from SMP) at our
lace day in June - maybe he will have some of the answers.

--
Jane Partridge