> don't you have a key on your keyboard with thiese 3 symbols ^¨~ on it?  if
> so press ¨ and then the letter o u and you have your umlaut, ö ü

Maybe if we have an international keyboard, and I think Windows, rather than
Mac? I used to use the above method when I typed using Wordperfect in DOS a
long time ago.

For the standard US keybaords (M/soft) we can use the Alt codes, or the
Insert option in the compose-message window (which for frequent work is too
billy-bob in Netscape). I prefer the Alt codes.

For a website about Alt codes, go here:
http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards2.asp

For Mac users, there is Key Caps option in the Apple menu, if it is
installed, where you can choose special characters.

Lace content:  all going well, you should see "Tønder" as she is
spelled  <g>
ø = Alt 0248
Some e-mail programs convert the code to more code, and some readers will
see gibberish instead of the symbol.

If I am having to type other characters often, e.g. if I'm typing a
paragraph from a German lace book into a translator, I'll copy them into a
message window from which I can cut and paste individual characters as
required.
--
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)
Cdn. floral bobbins  www.woodhavenbobbins.com
blogging lace at www.looonglace.blogspot.com